Spy (explorer)

blejdaq

Spy (explorer)

Postby blejdaq » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:18 pm

The next idea is about exploring the map. The normal AoK's system is clear, if your move your unit, it leaves a trail of explored land behind it-self which is then covered in fog of war if there's no unit around.

If my scout moves too far from last settlement (let's say 512 tiles far) he won't leave any FoW trail anymore until he safely returns. Then his path will reveal the explored land he scouted. If he dies the exploration dies with him. So when sending scout on long journeys give him a supply cart or some gold and hope he will find some village to buy food.

If you find out you were scouted you can send cavalery after the spy and secure your location stays secret. Or if you know the spy left west and there is only one bridge on the river west, you can wait for him there.

blejdaq

Re: Spy (explorer)

Postby blejdaq » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:52 pm

In addition to FoW if you meet certain criteria (for example explored more than 50% of the superG map, subjugated more than 50% of population and built a castle) the whole map square will reveal it-self to you.

lamps

Postby lamps » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:40 am

Hmm if you ask me there was nothing wrong with exploring in AoK ... I also didn't like that explorer guy AoE3 introduced.

Alexandra

Postby Alexandra » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:47 am

Maybe abit more simplefied way to scout:

You assign a map number (512x512 map) to explore, the scout will travel to it and when it arrived it will start exploring the map over there like an classic aoe2 scout from an pc player.
When this is done, you will have the choosen area explored.

You can add an option that you will receive an intelligence report if important things were found like:
> Other players
> NPC
> Important resource deposits like gold stone and ore

While travelling, the scout will have to face all dangers like wild animals and maybe even other players.
If the scout dies, so will his explored area.

blejdaq

Postby blejdaq » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:09 pm

lamps wrote:Hmm if you ask me there was nothing wrong with exploring in AoK ... I also didn't like that explorer guy AoE3 introduced.

I agree, the original exploring is ok. And my exploring will be the same in case you are moving around your territory looking for villages, resources. But i don't like the idea of just sending some units randomly and no more care about them.
Is there something particular you don't like about this solution?

Alexandra wrote:You can add an option that you will receive an intelligence report if important things were found like:
> Other players
> NPC
> Important resource deposits like gold stone and ore

Exactly, you can send a scout and let him look for resources. When he finds some he will return.

lamps

Postby lamps » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:35 pm

blejdaq wrote:Is there something particular you don't like about this solution?

The most annoying part would be that you have to find/create explorer ... if every unit could explore, that would be ok.

blejdaq

Postby blejdaq » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:20 pm

lamps wrote:
blejdaq wrote:Is there something particular you don't like about this solution?

The most annoying part would be that you have to find/create explorer ... if every unit could explore, that would be ok.

So we have no problem at all :-) Of course every unit can explore but if exploring too far from base it has to return and tell stories about his journey so it can be drawn on the map.

Return to “Concepts”