Development progress images

Alexandra

Re: Development progress images

Postby Alexandra » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:50 pm

Yep that's right.
Maybe it's indeed right to let players start in a random place on the Europe map (besides locked overseas areas like I mentioned before)
And indeed with complete fog of war like in aoe2.
Totally forgot that people could camp with each other unfairly if you could choose your place to settle.
Maybe adding a starting direction would be nice, like where would you like to start, with the 4 wind directions.

About the tower thing, it could be automatic anyways pretending when you had build the tower people were employed to it

anyways if your scenarios are played on a bigger scenario you could keep a new system for unit location in mind
aoe2 uses x coordinate + y coordinate
You could use Map ID + X + Y-Coordinate
Else if your system could handle it: Giga coordinates like 4721, 12117

Pls come on msn sometime

Dannflor

Postby Dannflor » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:34 pm

I can also help test. This looks awesome! I'll do what ever I can to get this project to completion.

Alexandra

Postby Alexandra » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:15 am

@blejdac:

Before doing anything I would know if it is possible to:
> load a data file as complex as aoe's so I can stick to genie engine style
> will it be data or text
> do you want all existing attack types, unit classes and all other that kind of related things remain the same or be rewritten in an updated order.
> do you want one big data file or one Base data file with base settings for the game and "Player Datafile that has all custom settings from the player like researched technologies, etc. and a third datafile for each player that holds all data of what they built, where they are, movements, resources etc etc.

Currently I done some research on the terrain restrictions on aoe2 and found it out to be very interesting.
It has headers and data containing data about which terrain ID's can be accessed by the restriction type and which cannot, also data like how projectiles die, if they fall in water it gives a splash, dust could give a little cloud and ground gives a decaying arrow.
also misc data is linked like what terrain ID gives what foot/wheel whatever other track graphics when units walk over them.

blejdaq

Postby blejdaq » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:02 pm

Dannflor wrote:I can also help test. This looks awesome! I'll do what ever I can to get this project to completion.

Thank you. I'm already tired of using the word "soon" but soon there will be a test. I'm curious how good the system can handle terrain distribution to several players over different distances. Every hand will be welcome.

blejdaq

Postby blejdaq » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Alexandra wrote:anyways if your scenarios are played on a bigger scenario you could keep a new system for unit location in mind
aoe2 uses x coordinate + y coordinate
You could use Map ID + X + Y-Coordinate
Else if your system could handle it: Giga coordinates like 4721, 12117

I was using this coordinate system (or rather system of coordinate systems) but then i realized for distance measure and path finding i need one big system, so yes, now i'm using giga coordinates - every small tile square is 100x100 in real coordinates.

Alexandra wrote:@blejdac:
Before doing anything I would know if it is possible to:
> load a data file as complex as aoe's so I can stick to genie engine style
> will it be data or text
> do you want all existing attack types, unit classes and all other that kind of related things remain the same or be rewritten in an updated order.
> do you want one big data file or one Base data file with base settings for the game and "Player Datafile that has all custom settings from the player like researched technologies, etc. and a third datafile for each player that holds all data of what they built, where they are, movements, resources etc etc.

Currently I done some research on the terrain restrictions on aoe2 and found it out to be very interesting.
It has headers and data containing data about which terrain ID's can be accessed by the restriction type and which cannot, also data like how projectiles die, if they fall in water it gives a splash, dust could give a little cloud and ground gives a decaying arrow.
also misc data is linked like what terrain ID gives what foot/wheel whatever other track graphics when units walk over them.

You better start a new thread in Concepts called "Unit data" or similar where we can discuss anything related to this. System i'm using now for storing some data looks like this: text data compiled to binary data merged together into one big data file (looks like AoK's one, hmm?)

Keep the terrain knowledge you've researched in mind (or better on a paper), it will be very useful soon.

lamps

Postby lamps » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:08 am

Wow, so excited. :)

Also thanks Alexandra for all that work you do, I hope you team up with blejdaq.

blejdaq

Postby blejdaq » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:02 pm

Jon321 wrote:I have also done programming in directDraw (the 2d one), with delphi6. I made only basic terrains but had unit movements, working villagers, ranged attacks

Show us!

blejdaq

Postby blejdaq » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:18 am

Yes lamps, i'm excited too. And Alexandra is a welcome help but she must prove her-self worthy yet :)

Jon321

Postby Jon321 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:21 am

Haha. I hope i didnt make it sound better than it is... I wrote this when i was 16 years old, I had no idea how to extract the graphics so i worked from screenshots :shock:
Its uses delphi6 (didnt include code here, but i have it somewhere...) Uses directx. I now know how to unpack the drs and slp file formats, and could continue on this work.

btw what language your using? I worked from samples in c++ to learn directDraw, and can translate between them, i also know java.

http://www.2shared.com/file/IYU_Ke8i/random1.html

had trouble replying on forum :/
Last edited by Jon321 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  

blejdaq

Postby blejdaq » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:28 am

The opposite - it looks better than it sounds. It feels very amusing. You should port it to C++ - that would be a good exercise. My client is programmed in C++/DX9 and server is in Java. And yes, the forum is driving me crazy but have no time to take care about it now. Hope it gets better.

Return to “Previews”